Main menu

Pages

Volkswagen I.D. Vizzion saloon concept teased for Geneva reveal

James Brodie 2018-02-19 14:40

New all-electric, autonomous I.D. family member to debut at Geneva in the form of the I.D. Vizzion saloon concept

Volkswagen I.D. Vizzion concept teaser

Volkswagen will introduce a new all-electric I.D. concept car at the Geneva Motor Show early next month, this time adding a rakish saloon to its growing family of electric concepts.

Called the I.D. Vizzion, teaser sketches issued by Volkswagen reveal that it’ll be a four-seat, four-door coupe inspired I.D. saloon, measuring 5.11 metres in length. That places it above and beyond the new Arteon in terms of size, but in the same bracket as the likes of the Mercedes S-Class and new Audi A8

Best electric cars on sale 2018

Volkswagen has only provided side-on sketches of the car, but it’s possible to make out the profile and design of the low nose, which appears more in line with the likes of the XL1 and mysterious Gen-E research vehicle than anything else currently in the I.D. concept line-up. The thin, horizontal taillights are right out of the I.D. playbook though, while there are strong hints of the I.D. Crozz II in the roofline and C-pillar. Suicide style doors round off the look. 

Inside, four seats are centred around a large central armrest stretching from the front of the car into the rear. However, no steering wheel is present – Volkswagen is presenting the I.D. Vizzion as a completely autonomous concept.

In fact, the sketch suggests that hardly any physical controls will be present in the cabin whatsoever. Instead, driving will be left to an autonomous system Volkswagen calls ‘digital chauffeur’. Passengers are left to converse with the ‘virtual host’ – a voice and gesture controlled AI system that learns the personal preferences of those on board for the journey. 

Volkswagen has detailed some of the powertrain specifications underpinning the I.D. Vizzion too. Its two electric motors develop 225kW (302bhp) combined, and the car is capable of a top speed of 112mph. A 111kWh battery pack unlocks a 413-mile range, with brake regeneration factored in.

With no steering wheel on board, it could be some years before a production model similar to the I.D. Vizzion arrives in Volkswagen showrooms, but the brand plans to have 20 all-electric vehicles on sale by 2025, with the first - the I.D. hatchback - arriving in 2020.

Now read more about the Volkswagen I.D. and watch our video review of the concept here...


from Featured Articles http://bit.ly/2C94fVD
reactions
Cars, car, auto Car

Comments

table of contents title